Older Australians helped build this country. They worked hard, paid their taxes and raised their families.
They rightly expected that the Federal Government would support them in their frailer years. That’s what they deserve, that’s what they’ve earned, after a life contributing to their communities and to Australia.
But the Morrison Government has neglected older Australians and the aged care system for the best part of a decade – it’s a national disgrace.
If we want to change aged care in this country for the better, then we need to start by changing the government.
Jerome wants a better future for all of us, especially those who need it most.
- Registered nurses on site 24/7: Under a Labor Government, every aged care facility will be required to have a registered, qualified nurse on site, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This will save thousands of stressful, expensive and ultimately unnecessary trips to hospital Emergency Departments, for issues a nurse could solve on the spot.
- More carers with more time to care: Labor will raise the standard of aged care across the board – by ensuring there are more carers, who have more time to care. We will mandate that every Australian living in aged care receives an average of 215 minutes of care per day, as recommended by the Royal Commission. That means more care for every resident, every day. Not just for essential medical treatment – but basic, important things like helping people take a shower, get dressed or eat a meal.
- A pay rise for aged care workers: Labor will back a real pay rise for aged care workers. Labor will support workers’ calls for better pay at the Fair Work Commission. And a Labor Government will fund the outcome of this case. Because if we want higher standards of care – we need to support higher wages for our carers.
- Better food for residents: Labor will ensure that there is better food for residents of aged care homes. A Labor Government will work with the sector to develop and implement mandatory nutrition standards for aged care homes to ensure every resident gets good food.
- Dollars going to care: Labor will make residential care providers report – in public and in detail – what they are spending money on. And we will give the Aged Care Safety Commissioner new powers to ensure there is accountability and integrity.
Jerome will work hard to put security, dignity, quality and humanity back into aged care.
Are you wanting to contribute to the change that Australia needs?
The Liberal Party need Bennelong, but they’re so convinced that they don’t need to work for it that they’re giving the seat away to their friends in other electorates rather than choosing a local who knows the heart of Bennelong.
But Jerome isn’t the only local who knows the heart of Bennelong – YOU do too. It’s not just your vote we need to make the change, we also need you. We need you to volunteer wherever and however you can. If you wan’t to explore how you can help, Please sign up as a volunteer today, together we can make the change!