Australia must be a country that makes things. After almost a decade of sending manufacturing offshore and neglecting Australian workers, we’ve seen the consequences: fewer jobs, missed opportunities, and a nation left exposed when coronavirus hit.
Labor has a comprehensive plan to create jobs, boost vital skills by investing in education and training, bring industry expertise back onshore and supercharge national productivity.
An Albanese Labor Government will rebuild our proud manufacturing industry, and build a future made right here in Australia.
- A country that makes things again – Australia is blessed with natural resources, but under this government we’re missing out on an opportunity to value add and employ Australians in manufacturing. An Albanese Labor Government will provide up to $15 billion of capital to invest in job-creating projects through loans, equity and guarantees in resources, agriculture, transport, medical science, defence capability, enabling capabilities and renewables and low emissions technologies. Labor will invest in our manufacturing sector and get the cheapest energy to where it’s needed through an overdue upgrade to our outdated energy grid. With cheap and abundant renewable energy, our manufacturing sector will create jobs for Australians.
- Buy Australian Plan – Right now, too many Australian businesses are missing out on billions of dollars of Government contracts right here in Australia that are going to international competitors. Government spending on contracts is a significant economic driver in Australia, totalling nearly $190 billion over the last three financial years. We’ll maximise the use of Australian-made goods, products and materials in Commonwealth contracts as we roll out our plans to invest in a Future Made in Australia.
- Fixing the NBN – Labor will secure more Australian families and businesses quality, high speed internet by expanding full-fibre NBN access to 1.5 million premises. Under Labor, 90 per cent of Australians — over 10 million premises — will have access to world-class gigabit speeds by 2025. Labor will also keep the NBN in public hands, keeping internet costs for families affordable while ensuring improvements to the network.
- More trains, trams and ferries built here – We’ve seen what happens when governments buy trains, trams, and ferries from overseas on the cheap. They don’t fit the tracks, they don’t fit under bridges, and they’re not fit for purpose. Worst of all, it’s Australian workers who miss out on the manufacturing jobs. Labor will put Australian workers first and make sure more trains, trams, and ferries are made here.
- Local Defence jobs will come first – To keep Australians safe and our region peaceful, we will need to invest in defence. A Labor Government will prioritise local jobs for defence contracts with our Defence Industry Development Strategy. Over the next decade, there is $270 billion of defence spending on the books. By maximising local content we will create jobs and establish a local defence manufacturing sector.
- More apprentices, more trainees – Under the Morrison Government, there are at least 70,000 fewer people doing an apprenticeship or traineeship than there were almost a decade ago. Labor will train thousands of workers by ensuring one in ten workers on major government projects is an apprentice, trainee or cadet.
Are you wanting to contribute to the change that Australia needs?
The Liberal Party need Bennelong, but they’re so convinced that they don’t need to work for it that they’re giving the seat away to their friends in other electorates rather than choosing a local who knows the heart of Bennelong.
But Jerome isn’t the only local who knows the heart of Bennelong – YOU do too. It’s not just your vote we need to make the change, we also need you. We need you to volunteer wherever and however you can. If you wan’t to explore how you can help, Please sign up as a volunteer today, together we can make the change!